STEM Sampler - States of Matter, Electromagnet, Flight - At Home Kit
Youth Enrichment / Science & Nature -
This at home kit with an activity guide will be mailed directly to your home. Please make sure your address is in your profile when registering.
- Experimenting with an adult - ages 8+.
- Experimenting under adult supervision - ages 12+.
Have fun with three STEM topics...chemistry, aerospace and electricity. Your budding scientist will explore the three most common states of matter in our environment: solid, liquid and gas. Discover the four forces that allow planes and rockets to fly: thrust, drag, weight and lift. You will experiment with these forces through fun, hands-on experiments and activities while using a paratrooper to investigate drag, a disk launcher to explore lift and more. Build and test an electromagnet and learn how the electromagnetic field was first discovered.
- 1 plastic zip bag
- 1 small square of paper towel
- 1 spoon
- 1 dropper (pipette)
- 1 set of color tablets (red/blue/yellow)
- 6 spoonfuls of baking soda
- 5 spoonfuls of citric acid (naturally found in fruit)
- 1 spoonful of popcorn kernels
- 1 paratrooper with rubber band
- 1 glider with nose cone
- 1 disk launcher
- 1 foam shape
- 4 paper clips
- 1 AA battery
- 1 D cell battery
- 1 compass, size will vary
- 2 meal fasteners
- 6 paper clips
- 1 wire, 1.5 feet long
- 2 wires, 6 inches long
- 1-4x5 inch cardboard
- 1 steel nail, 2.5 inches long
- color crayons, 4 colors
- Activity Guide for States of Matter, Flight 101 and Electromagnet
Materials Not Included with Kit:
- Water, a half measuring cup, a bowl or tray, 3-clear cups, tape and a table.
- WARNING--Items in this kit are for external use only. Do not eat or drink any substance contained in this kit. Keep out of eyes, nose, and mouth.
- WARNING-- This kit contain citric acid, which is a naturally occurring weak acid found in fruit. Wash hands after conducting experiments. If left on hands, can cause skin irritation.
- WARNING:SHARP POINT HAZARD--Toy contains functional sharp point. Not for children under 4 years of age.
- WARNING:CHOKING HAZARD--Small parts. Not for children under 3 years of age.
- Please be aware--The metal parts of the electromagnet can sometimes become warm or hot to the touch. If this happens, turn the electromagnet off. Allow the electromagnet to cool down before using again.
For over 27 years, Science Explorers has been providing science enrichment classes in Minnesota and western Wisconsin. We believe hands-on science sparks wonder and imagination in all children and allows them to use their natural curiosity for discoveries.